New Home Builds – Our Signature Activity
The signature activity of Habitat for Humanity is construction of new houses and providing people in an affordable way to qualifying applicants.
Where Do the Materials Come From?
Grants and Discounts – Many suppliers help us out by providing construction materials for free or at a discount.
Who Builds the House?
Many individuals and companies help: us build these houses.
- Contractor – We typically have professional contractor who provides guidance to construction crews
- Individual Volunteers – Many individuals from the community volunteer to help us build these houses. Specific training and licensing is not required for many of the activites
- Company and Organizational Groups – Many organizations and companies provide a group of volunteers
How is the Project Funded?
Many individuals and companies help:
- Grants – Habitat for Humanity obtains grants from various public and private foundations and companies
- Individual Gifts – Individuals too can give us cash donations which are fully qualifies tax deductions as we are a 501(c)3
How Does One Qualify for a Home?
A Habitat for Humanity is a “Hand up, not a hand out”. The homeowner must
- Homeowners must show that they have a need for financial help in order to purchase a home.
- The homeowners are provided with a zero interest mortgate, but must show that they also have the ability to pay back that loan.
- The homeowner must put in “sweat equity” to help build the house.